List of 10 Vocational Trades and Career Pathways
This list is based on the 10 trades, not by highest paying, but by job security, as all of the ones listed are fields that show lots of growth potential.
10) Electricians – The average salary for an electrician runs around $43,000 a year and the expected growth in the field is 7% over the next 10 years. This trade usually focuses on training you in both electrical construction and electrical repair.
9) Iron and metal workers – The average salary for someone who works with metal and iron is around $40,000 a year. The expected growth for this trade over the next 10 years is 8%.
8) HVAC – The average salary for someone who does HVAC, which is heating and refrigeration work, is only about $37,000 a year, but as climate control needs are changing rapidly, the expected growth in this is expected to be 9% over the next 10 years. This is a job that will always be needed and you will be trained to make installations in not only private homes, but also factories and other businesses.
7) Elevator installation and repair – The average salary for someone who works on elevators or sets them up, is $63,000 a year. The expected growth over the next 10 years is 9%.
6) Construction – The average construction gets paid around $40,000 a year. Now that depends on where the work is taking place and what type of work it is exactly. This market might be down right now, but the expected growth over the next 10 years is 10%. This training program will lead to many career paths you can take, including retail estate and commercial construction, carpentry, electrician, and general contractor.
5) Plumbing – The typical plumber will average about $42,000 a year in salary. The expected growth for this “it’s a dirty job, but someone’s got to do it” line of work is 10% over the next 10 years.
4) Cosmetology – The average beautician makes around $30,000 each year and the expected growth in this field is 14% over the next 10 years.
3) Dental assistant – The average dental hygienist brings in around $30,000 a year. The expected growth in this field is a staggering 29% over the next 10 years.
2) Pharmacy technician – This job might only make you around $25,000 a year, but the expected growth rate is a whopping 32% over the next 10 years.
1) Medical assistant – This job may only pay an average of $27,000 a year, but the astronomical 35% expected growth rate over the next 10 years sounds very promising. This is a field that already can’t find enough people to fill positions. This program will lead to a job where you will work right alongside both doctors and their patients.